Friday, August 26, 2011

Captain's Log: Star Date 125.340

The wind gusts has been increasing in speed, but still nothing I haven't seen here before. It seems as though more wind is hitting the front bedroom..a bit of a surprise to me. I'm not going to make a hasty decision to quickly move everything to the back bedroom...we all know things will change abruptly in storms like these.

There is of course some amount of prediction that can be valuable. We know that a hurricane's winds rotate counter-clockwise around its eye in the northern hemisphere, and Atlantic Beach is south-facing. This is why I expect the winds to be coming in from the east corner (back bedroom) as Irene approaches, and then changing to an almost opposite direction as she passes.

I'll likely cover my bases while I sleep and plop a mattress in the hallway between the two bedrooms.

Speaking of sleep, I want to get cracking early, so I'll be headed off to bed in a few. I'll make one last check on supplies, etc., before watching an episode of Star Trek...then it's off to sleep before the long day ahead.

Who knows what will happen tomorrow. The cell towers may be damaged making it impossible to post these blogs. Don't worry. I will be fine. If I am forced into radio-silence, I will find a way to post so everyone knows the outcome of this storm.

Peace...

...huh, funny isn't it, that Irene means peace?

1 comment: